Why Am I Still Sick After The Flood?
If you are like me, you have allergy problems, which is not uncommon here in South Louisiana. But why am I still sick so long after the flood?
I know that flood waters can bring disease, but in industrialized countries, the chances are low that you will actually develop a disease from a flood. According to the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, one of the biggest health concerns after a flood in Louisiana is mold.
Molds can produce allergens, irritants and, in some cases, toxins. Breathing or touching mold spores may cause an allergic response and worsen breathing problems such as asthma. Common reactions to mold are cough, congestion, runny nose, burning eyes, headaches, sneezing and sore throat. Children, pregnant women, older persons and people with weak immune systems may be more sensitive to mold. If you have any health concerns, talk to your doctor. - Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals
Ever since I helped clean up a house that was flooded, my allergies have been going crazy. Sneezing fits, watery eyes, congestion, runny nose, sinus headaches - almost all of the symptoms listed above. (I know, I need to go to the doctor!) I wore a mask while doing some of the work, but I wasn't diligent about masking up. I am sorry for that, and I am paying for it now!
If your home/business/camp/vehicle was flooded, and you are displaying any of the symptoms listed above, you may need to 1) seek medical attention; 2) check your home to make certain that all of the water-damaged items have been removed; 3) test (and treat, if found) your home for mold.
If you will excuse me, I have to make a call to Dr. Doucet's office.