World’s Biggest St Patrick’s Day Celebrations
As we are celebrating St Patrick's Day at Patty in the Parc Friday, people all over the world are donning green and wearing shamrocks. Everyone is Irish on March 17th! Some of the biggest celebrations are not in Ireland, interestingly enough. Check out the biggest blow out Irish festivities below from Fodors.com.
- New York City - the oldest and biggest St Patrick's Day parade in the USA, with over two million people attending. It's so big you can even watch it live on Earthcam!
- Dublin - a five day festival which includes boat races, an Irish Whiskey and Beer celebration, and major landmarks dyed green for the holiday
- Sydney, Australia - one of the largest parades in the world, dating back 200 years. The world famous Sydney Opera House turns green for the celebration
- Chicago - famously dyes the Chicago River green, which in itself is a huge event. They also have a parade that lasts well over three hours on the Saturday before March 17th
- Montreal - a huge and festive parade that dates back to 1824, and has never been cancelled, even for poor weather. A massive replica of St Patrick kicks off the start of the three hour long annual event
- London - a three day festival at Trafalgar Square which includes a film festival and fashion show
- Montserrat - known as 'The Emerald Isle', and the only place outside of Ireland where St Patrick's Day is a public holiday
- Savannah, Georgia - one of the largest Irish celebrations in the world, along historic River Street
- Munich - one of the newer celebrations, dating back to 1995, but a wildly popular parade and celebration of Irish heritage none the less
- Buenos Aires - the largest St Patrick's Day celebration in South America, and home to one of the biggest Irish communities in the world, coming in at #5