You Can Only See These Crazy Things in Louisiana
Let’s face it, we live in a very unusual state. Cool, fun, historic, but still unusual. I don’t know about you, but I’m always on the look out for weird stuff to do, or places to visit, with my out of state guests who want the ‘real Louisiana experience’. And we have plenty of awesome spots right here in the Bayou State!
Movato.com found some crazy places that even I didn’t know existed. I can’t wait to visit these!
- Nicholas Cage Pyramid Tomb – New Orleans – St Louis Cemetery #1, who knew?!
- Jackson Square cats – New Orleans feline population runs wild in this historic French Quarter Square in front of St Louis Cathedral
- Praline Bacon – New Orleans – whipped up at the famed Elizabeth’s Restaurant
- Odd Fellows Rest Cemetery – New Orleans – 5055 Canal St., where members of the so called ‘secret society’ are buried. Built in 1847
- Gates of Guinee – New Orleans – seven spots in the city that are reported to be the entrance to the voodoo underworld. Supposedly located in the cemeteries on Canal Street
- Visit the Britney Spears Museum – Kentwood – it’s all Britney, all the time, at the Kentwood Visitors Center off of Interstate 55
- Bonnie & Clyde Ambush Site and Museum – Gibsland – the duo was actually gunned down on LA. Hwy 154 outside of the tiny town
- The exact spot where ‘The Kingfish’ Huey P. Long was killed – Baton Rouge – you can even put your finger in the bullet hole at the State Capitol Building
- Half Dog / Half Alligator – Abita Springs – at the Abita Mystery House at 22275 Highway 36
- The Most Haunted House in America – St Francisville – The Myrtles Plantation is super scary. Even Oprah was too scared to stay!
- Get some Crawfish Jelly – no, it’s not actually made of crawfish, but Ole Homestead sells a ton of the sweet and sassy jams at stores and arts and crafts shows around the state
- Tabasco – the world famous hot sauce is made in tiny Avery Island, right outside of New Iberia
- The grave of Hitler’s horse – St.Rose – La Branche Plantation is also home to President Zachary Taylor’s bathtub!
- Jayne Mansfield Crash Site – on June 29, 1967 actress Jayne Mansfield was killed in a horrific car crash on Hwy 90, just west of the Rigolets bridge(near Slidell). Side note – her daughter is actress Mariska Hargitay, who plays Olivia Benson on “Law and Order SVU’
- Mardi Gras – duh