BBB’s Sharane Gott Talks Scamming The Scammed & PokemonGo! (Audio)
Better Business Bureau of Acadiana CEO Sharane Gott speaks with Rob Kirkpatrick and Bernadette Lee of "Acadiana's Morning News" about the latest controversy involving PokemonGo!, as well as scammers scamming the scammed.
In discussing PokemonGo!, Gott warns of people not fully vetting programs which use your data and stressed being vigilant in protecting yourself.
They also discussed what Gott calls "the most shameful," scamming the scammed. Gott touched upon "sucker lists" and how people on those lists can be victims over and over again.
Here are some tips the BBB offers to avoid this scam:
- Do not return messages from anyone claiming to be the IRS or other government agency. Remember that federal organizations generally contact residents by letter.
- Never pay money over the phone to someone you do not know.
- Never click on an email link or attachment unless you are positive it is from a credible and secure source. Always check emails for things that don’t match up, including email addresses, typos and grammatical mistakes.
- Keep antivirus software on your computer current.
- Never give personal and banking or Social Security information over the phone.