Federal Gov. Says Schools Must Allow Transgender Bathrooms
The U.S. Department of Education sent a letter to public schools informing them they are required to allow transgendered students to use the restroom that is consistent with their gender identity, or risk losing federal funding. Alto Congressman Ralph Abraham says this is another example of President Obama’s executive overreach. He says this is a form of extortion.
“I do not want less than 1% of a population on any issue determining what the other 99% of us have to do and have to comply with.”
Abraham says the state should make the decision regarding transgender bathrooms and this is an issue that should not be a federal mandate. He says we’re all about protecting people in this country so let’s protect the most vulnerable population, the young children.
“Personally, I don’t want a grown man going to the bathroom with my grandchildren and certainly not my granddaughters.”
Matthew Patterson with Equality Louisiana says this is a really big step forward in terms of policies in public schools and universities. He says transgender kids are at a huge risk of many mental health issues.
“So, policies that are intended to protect these kids are meant to help people and they do help people when they’re implemented.”
Patterson says no one wants to lose out on education money by not complying with this mandate because it would hurt all students. He says this doesn’t mean it’s okay for a man to go into bathrooms with little girls.
“I would say that education is absolutely crucial. That’s not what these kind of laws or policies are about.”