Investigators with the Lafayette Fire Department determined a lit cigarette caused moderate smoke damage to a home on Madeline Avenue this afternoon.

Fire Department spokesperson Alton Trahan reported firefighters responded to the residential fire in the 100 block of Madeline Ave at around 115 p.m. this afternoon after a neighbor called 911.

When firefighters arrived, they witnessed smoke coming from a back bedroom. They soon discovered a mattress smoldering in the room.

Trahan said the home's occupant, Amy Magnon, was not home at the time.

The fire has been ruled accidental. No one was injured.

More From News Talk 96.5 KPEL