On ‘Giving Tuesday’, These Charities Are Close To My Heart
Well, it seems that 'Giving Tuesday' is now an official thing, and a good reminder to myself that I need to be more charitable. All the time, not just the day after Cyber Monday. So, in the spirit of the season, I would like to tell you about a few of my favorite charities, and why I'll be giving to them today. And hopefully being able to support them year round. There are over one million charitable or non profit organizations in the USA, so choose wisely
- St Jude Children's Research Hospital. My top choice. Helping kids with cancer at a world class facility is an amazing thing to do. Their 'Thanks and Giving' campaign at this time of year reminds us to give thanks for the healthy kids in your life by giving to those who are not.
- Charities that help senior citizens. Seniors sometimes get overlooked when it comes to contributions, but there are a lot of really wonderful non profits to help out the elderly in America. Us Against Alzheimers will match every gift before midnight tonight five times over. AARP Foundation helps combat senior poverty, and those over 50 who are struggling.
- UNICEF. The world's largest charity organization dedicated solely to helping children will match your donation by three times today.
- The Red Cross. We got so much help from the Red Cross when my son, as a United States Marine, was shot in Iraq. I will forever be grateful to them! Today they are matching every donation up to $100,000
- The Humane Society. For every dollar donated today, they will donate a bowl of pet food for a rescued animal. There are several locations around Acadiana, including Iberia Humane Society, Acadiana Animal Aid, and St Martin Humane Society in Breaux Bridge.