Simcoe Street Fire Blamed On Unattended Stove
Shortly after Midnight Lafayette firefighters responded to a house fire in the 1900 block of Simcoe Street and on arrival found two apartments of a four apartment complex engulfed in smoke. Two people were in the complex at the time and escaped without injury. Firefighters had the blaze under control within fifteen minutes but two of the apartments sustained heavy fire damage while the other two sustained smoke damage.
Investigators determined the fire originated in the kitchen of one of the apartments. Scented materials in pot a on the stove was left unattended and apparently caused the fire.