In the past week, southwest Louisiana authorities have seen an uptick in synthetic marijuana overdoses, where the users would become unconscious shortly after they ingested it. Acadian Ambulance Medical Director Dr. Chuck Burnell says the users told authorities the product was called Gumbo or Bubblegum."There were a lot of people that were secondary, tertiary, and sometimes four-time transports, so we don't know if they were going back and doing more of the drugs or if it was the same initial dose of the drugs that caused multiple episodes of unconsciousness," adds the doctor.

Burnell says first responders found users passed out in human piles.

"Wherever they were standing, that's where they went out.  We had some individuals that were literally laying on top of one another like they all fell in a pile.  We had five individuals, so it was pretty rapid onset."

More From News Talk 96.5 KPEL