A mother and her teenage son had to get out of their Lafayette apartment on Wednesday after the oven being used to heat the living space apparently malfunctioned.

In a press release, Lafayette Fire Department spokesman Alton Trahan says an apparent loose connection with the plug and outlet caused an electrical arc, which damaged the kitchen wall and ceiling area. Fortunately, the mom was able to smell the burning in the kitchen while she was in another room, call 911, and get her and her son out without getting injured. Trahan says the fire was behind the range burning up the wall.

The incident happened at Northgate Apartments around 1:00 p.m.

Two adjacent units had light smoke damage.