[UPDATE] Fire that damaged 27 units ruled an accident
Lafayette fire officials have determined the fire at Maison Lafitte was caused by an electrical failure in the attic space.
The fire earlier this month damaged 27 apartments and displaced numerous tenants.
The fire was initially reported by occupants in an upstairs apartment. They returned home that morning only to find a smoke-filled apartment and flames in a closet area.
The fire actually originated in the attic space adjacent to their unit and propagated through the attic and into another apartment building which shared a common attic.
The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.