Apple Holds Steady During A Third Straight Day Of Gains: Acadiana Business Index
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 183 points to 11,123.
- Financial and materials stocks, some of the hardest-hit sectors during the market's downturn over the last few months, were the day's biggest gainers.
- In economic news, 401,000 Americans filed new claims for unemployment benefits last week. The government's jobs report will be released tomorrow morning.
- U.S. retailers' September sales generally exceeded expectations. Target beat analyst estimates, while Ross Stores exceeded expectations and raised its third-quarter earnings estimate. Target jumped 4.3%; Ross Stores gained 3.2%.
- And Apple held steady despite the news that Steve Jobs, the company's chairman and co-founder, died. The stock edged down 0.2% $377.37.
- Oil prices again higher, closing at $82.59 a barrel.
- And Gold settled at $1,653 an ounce.