This morning, Lafayette firefighters responded to the 200 block of Harmony Street to a reported house fire.

When first responders arrived on scene, the home was fully involved. The occupants of the dwelling were outside in a safe location. Firefighters battled the single-family dwelling for ten minutes before getting it under control. The home sustained heavy fire damage.

The home was occupied by four people at the time of the fire: dad, mom, and two young kids. An older child was at school.

The father of the adult male in the house came to pick him up for work. When he drove up, he noticed the smoke and alert his son, daughter-in-law, and two grandkids who were asleep in the house

The fire blocked the escape route to the exit doors. Fortunately, only the adults sustained minor scrapes while escaping. 

Fire officials determined the fire originated in the kitchen. An electrical failure with an outlet was the cause of the fire. The fire was ruled an accident.

More From News Talk 96.5 KPEL