February 14th is National Donor Day
February 14th is National Donor Day, also known as National Organ Donor Day. How appropriate that is shared with the day we celebrate love because donating your organs is the greatest gift of love. National Donor Day is a day to increase awareness about organ donation and the lives that can be saved. It focuses on five different types of donations which include, organs, tissues, marrow, platelets, and blood. Each type of donation saves lives. Some donations like blood, platelets, tissue, marrow, and some organs may be donated at any time.
- Just one organ donor can save up to eight lives and help more than 75 people.
- There are more than 120,000 people waiting for a life-saving organ donation.
- 22 people die each day because the organ they need is not donated in time.
- Another person is added to the waiting list every 10 minutes.
- 1 out of 3 deceased donors is over the age of 50.
- 82% of patients waiting are in need of a kidney.
- 750,000 transplants have taken place since 1988.
- One pint of blood can save up to three people.
Please consider participating in a blood drive and/or becoming an organ donor today and give the gift of life. And share the love by sharing this message.
To become an organ donor, click here.