Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Employees Plead Guilty
Three former, and two current employees, of the Iberia Parish Sheriff's Office pleaded guilty for their roles in beating inmates at the Iberia Parish Jail.
U.S. Attorney Stephanie Finley reported four of the defendants face up to 10 years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised release. Burns faces one year in prison and a $100,000 fine.
The defendants include:
- Robert E. Burns, 46, of Youngsville
- Byron LaSalle, 34, of Erath (current employee)
- Wade Bergeron, 40, of Milton
- Bret Broussard, 35, of Brousssard (current employee)
- Wesley Hayes, 36, of St. Martinville
The investigation was conducted by the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division.