Prolific Songwriter Lamont Dozier Dies
You might not know his face or his name, but you have, more than likely, heard his music.
Along with sharing his songwriting talents with the world, Dozier was also a successful producer, helping others create and record.
Lamont Dozier died today at the age of 81.
Dozier began his career in 1962 and, soon after, helped propel Martha and the Vandellas to stardom after writing their hits "Heat Wave" and "Quicksand", among others.
Wikipedia says that after the success with Martha and the Vandellas, Dozier and his team of songwriters helped put The Supremes on the radio map, having penned their "Where Did Our Love Go", the first of 10 #1 songs they wrote for the group.
Lamont Dozier only worked with Holland-Dozier-Holland for just over 10 years, but in that time the three wrote over 400 songs.
According to Songhall.org, of those over 400 songs, 130 of them hit the Pop Charts, more than 70 reached the Top Ten, and over 40 made it to the top in the form of Number 1 hits.
The songwriting team of Holland-Dozier-Holland has too many songs under their belt for me to list here, but just to give you an idea of some of the hits for which they are responsible, as per Wikipedia:
- "Heat Wave" Martha and the Vandellas
- "Mickey's Monkey" The Miracles
- "Can I Get a Witness" Marvin Gaye
- "Quicksand" Martha and the Vandellas
- "A Tear from a Woman's Eyes" The Temptations
- "Where Did Our Love Go" The Supremes
- "Baby I Need Your Loving" The Four Tops
- "Baby Love" The Supremes
- "Come See About Me" The Supremes
- "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" Marvin Gaye
- "Stop! in the Name of Love" The Supremes
- "Nowhere to Run" Martha and the Vandellas
- "Back in My Arms Again" The Supremes
- "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)" The Four Tops
- "It's the Same Old Song" The Four Tops
- "Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)" Kim Weston
- "I Hear a Symphony" The Supremes
- "Something About You" The Four Tops -
- "This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak for You)" The Isley Brothers
- "You Can't Hurry Love" The Supremes
- "Reach Out I'll Be There" The Four Tops
- "You Keep Me Hangin' On" The Supremes
- "Standing in the Shadows of Love" The Four Tops
- "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" The Supremes
- 1970 "Give Me Just a Little More Time" Chairmen of the Board
- "Band of Gold" Freda Payne
An amazing contribution to the world of music, the talents of Lamont Dozier will live on for generations.
He leaves behind 6 children and millions of grateful fans.
My Favorite Country Songs About Louisiana
Country Songs That Mention Lafayette