The Ragin' Cajuns and Southeastern played all the way into extra innings, but the weather in Hammond didn't allow them to fight until the finish.

All throughout the game, both teams new heavy rain and thunderstorms were coming their way. It looked like they had time to get the game in, but when the teams went to extra innings all bets were off. With the game tied, 4-4, in the 11th inning, the rain became too much to play through, and the teams chose to resume play when Louisiana returns to Hammond on March 29th.

It was a close competition all throughout. The Lions drew first blood on an RBI triple from Taylor Schwaner, then Louisiana tied the game in the fourth inning with a squeeze bunt by Tyler Stover and took the lead with a bases loaded walk. Southeastern answered with a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth from Carson Crites, and then the pitchers locked things down all the way into extra innings.

Evan Guillory went five innings, only allowing two runs, before handing things off to Hogan Harris, who ended up giving the ball to Dylan Moore when the game got tight in the seventh inning. Moore took the game all the way into the tenth inning, where it looked like the Ragin' Cajuns had a chance to seal the deal.

Handsome Monica drove home the go-ahead run in extra innings, then Steven Sensley extended the lead to 4-2 with an RBI single up the middle, but then the unthinkable happened: Moore failed to shut the door.

Moore walked the bases loaded in the bottom of the tenth before having to hand the ball to Colton Lee, who came up with a huge strikeout for the second out and a fly ball to end the inning. Lee kept the game alive for the Cajuns, who had their backs firmly up against the wall.

In the 11th, the rain started to come down heavier. After Louisiana went quietly in the top of the inning, the weather became too much to play through, and when the ball slipped out of Lee's hand and hit Schwamer in the head, the umpires decided to get the coaches together. From there, Tony Robichaux and Matt Riser chose to pick things up at a later date.

Since Louisiana is heading back to Hammond anyway, the two teams will resume action in the eleventh inning when they get together on March 29th, then they will go straight into their regularly scheduled series.

Both teams had chances to finish the game, but the free baseball kept going. In an ideal world, somebody would have finished with a dramatic win, but the weather brought down the curtain before the crowd got to see the final act.

More From News Talk 96.5 KPEL