Man Flees Officer During Traffic Stop
The St. Mary Parish Sheriff's Office is reporting the arrest of an Amelia man who allegedly had drugs on him and ran from an officer.
Detectives who work the Narcotics Division were patrolling in Amelia when they say a driver committed a traffic violation.
Officers say while talking to a passenger, 35-year-old Jovian Clark, during the traffic stop, he tried to hide a bag in his pants that had a green leafy substance in it.
The officers say Clark then pushed one of the detectives and ran away.
They caught him after a brief foot chase, and they found the bag on him.
Detectives say the bag has over four dozen MDMA pills in it along with individually packaged plastic bags of synthetic marijuana.
Officers say they collected evidence that Clark was selling the drugs.
Clark was arrested on the following charges:
- Resisting an officer by force or violence
- Obstruction of justice
- Possession of synthetic cannabinoids with intent to distribute
- Possession of MDMA with intent to distribute
- Transactions involving drug proceeds
- Violation of a controlled dangerous substance law (drug free zone)