Parents Seek To Ban Energy Drinks For Minors After Son’s Tragic Death
Sean and Heidi Cripe's 16-year-old son Davis died in 2017 from heart issues caused by drinking too much caffeine. They are now behind a bill they hope will help save lives and bring to light the potential dangers of too much caffeine.
Wdsu.com reports the bill seeking to ban the sale of energy drinks to minors passed a subcommittee of lawmakers last week in South Carolina. The proposed bill would "make it unlawful for a person to sell, furnish, give or distribute an energy drink to a minor under the age of 18. Anyone who violates this would be fined at least $50."
The Cripe's son Davis reportedly drank a large Mountain Dew, a latte and an energy drink just hours before his heart fell out of rhythm and ultimately died in April of 2017.
What do you think? Should the sale of energy drinks to minors be banned?
For more on this story, head over to wdsu.com.