Referees Needed For Upcoming Football, Volleyball Seasons
It's hard to believe, but another school year is upon us, and that means high school sports will be in full swing soon. Once again this year, the LHSAA is in need of officials for all sports.
Right now, the Lafayette Area Football Officials Association and the Acadiana Board of Volleyball Officials are looking for new and returning officials to register for the upcoming season. First-time officials will need to pay association and state dues and purchase a uniform and equipment. That cost will be made up quickly after you call a few games.
You might be thinking: Why would I want to be an official? Here a few benefits:
1) You get to enjoy the game from a different perspective. You get to understand the rules and their nuances and how they affect how the game is played.
2) Officiating is truly a social activity, as you get to work with and meet others who share a love of the game.
3) Officiating allows you to set a new goal for yourself and, if you so choose, strive for greatness in the field. You determine how far you want to go. Want to work a state title game? You can reach for that goal. If you want to work only junior high matches? That's fine, too.
4) It puts some extra change in your bank account.
5) You will be giving back to your community by helping high school athletes compete and perform in their chosen sports. Without officials, the games can't happen.
If you want to register to be a football official, head to Girard Park tonight or any other Monday night at 6 p.m. The LAFOA holds its meetings there and will be registering officials through August 12.
To register as a volleyball official, go to Comeaux High School tomorrow night (Tuesday, July 22) at 6 p.m. for the season-opening orientation meeting. Volleyball registration ends on August 25.
For more information about refereeing with the LHSAA and for contact information for the LAFOA and the ABVO, click here.