Some OMV Locations To Close In Nola
Out of an abundance of caution, locations of the Department of Motor Vehicles in the New Orleans area will be closing as of today.
There are also some fees that are going to waived during this time, and there will also be deadlines that will be moved during this time.
In addition to the New Orleans area, there following offices of the DMV are also closed including:
- DeRidder at 2366 Highway 190 West
- Donaldsonville at 413 Williams Street
- Homer at West Main Street
- Slidell at 1514 Lindberg Drive
According to the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles Commissioner Karen St. Germain they have also decided to limit the number of customers that will be allowed into each building at one time so that people can practice social distancing.
If you're looking for information you can go to www.expresslane.org to get information on what's open, what's closed and what services are available at this time.
The following is a list of things that will change temporarily from Governor John Bel Edwards':
Governor John Bel Edwards Proclamation Number JBE 2020-27 has extended several OMV requirements:
1. Late fees for driver’s license which expire between March 9, 2020 through May 10, 2020, are suspended until May 20, 2020.
2. Penalties and interest due on state and local sales and use taxes collected by the Office of Motor Vehicles which began on or after March 9, 2020 are suspended and are waived until June 19, 2020.
3. The three-day period mandated in LA R.S. 32:863.1 to appear at an Office of Motor Vehicle field office for a notice of violation served on or after March 9, 2020 but before May 10, 2020, is suspended until May 13, 2020.
4. The expiration date of temporary registration plates issued pursuant to LA R.S. 47:519 and La. R.S. 47:519.2 which expired on or before March 9, 2020 is suspended until May 10, 2020.
5. The expiration date of license plates issued pursuant to LA R.S. 47:462 which expired on or after March 9, 2020 but before May 10, 2020 is suspended until May 10, 2020.
6. The notice of default issued pursuant to LA R.S. 32:429.4 that would be issued on or after March 9, 2020 and before May 15, 2020 is suspended, and the notices will not be issued until after May 15, 2020.
7. The expiration date of an apportioned registration issued under the International Registration Plan which expires March 9, 2020 is suspended and the expiration date is extended to May 10, 2020.
8. The period to request an administrative hearing submitted to the Department pursuant to LA R.S. 32:667, LA R.S. 32:863, LA R.S. 863.1 and LAC Title 55, Part III, Chapter 1, §159 which expired on or after March 9, 2020 but before May 10, 2020 are suspended and extended until June 10, 2020.
9. The sixty-day delay for the Department to submit the administrative hearing record to the Division of Administrative Law pursuant to LA R.S. 32:667(D)(1) for an arrest which
occurred on or after March 9, 2020 but before May 10, 2020 is extended until August 8, 2020
10. Office of Motor Vehicles may offer services by remote customer service agent interaction in current Office of Motor Vehicle office locations.