State Fire Marshal Tips for A Safe New Year’s Celebration
The Louisiana State Fire Marshal's Office knows a thing or two about fireworks safety, and they want you to as well. They are offering tips on where and who to purchase fireworks from, and what is legal, and what is not in our state. Only 350 fireworks permits have been issued for the 2018 holiday season, so you really need to be careful if you don't want to get a fine, or worse, hurt. If you see any suspicious or illegal fireworks sales, you can report them to 1-888-256-5452 or by visiting their website at lasfm.org.
Safety suggestions were recently sent out by the SFM, and they are below. Be careful out there, y'all!
- Always read and follow the label directions carefully
- Always have a garden hose or water bucket nearby for medical emergencies and/or to douse spent or misfired fireworks.
- Adults should always supervise fireworks activity.
- Fireworks should be placed on a hard, smooth surface prior to ignition. NEVER light fireworks in your hand.
- Light one firework at a time, and move away quickly after lighting.
- Never point or throw fireworks at people, pets, cars, or buildings.
- Keep fireworks away from small children.
- Do not alter or make your own fireworks.
- After displays, never pick up fireworks that may be left over.