The State Fire Marshal’s Office is warning Louisiana residents about the dangers of re-entering a burning structure following a fatal fire in Jeanerette.

The St. Mary Parish Fire District responded to the call about the fire in the 100 block of Edward Lane around 7 a.m. on Saturday, December 29.

Three adults were in the home at the time of the fire and were able to escape.

One of those occupants, 25-year-old Raynell Polidore, re-entered the burning home to retrieve a wallet, but never came out

Since the incident, The SFM encourages people that when in the presence of a house fire, the best course of action is to get out and stay out.

“No possession is worth risking your life,” said State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning. “The goal is first to do whatever you can to prevent fire. But if you experience fire, the priority is getting out safely. Things can be purchased again.  Life cannot.”


More From News Talk 96.5 KPEL