Lafayette, LA (KPEL News) - Voters in four south Louisiana cities approved five tax initiatives in the October 14 election.


Voters in the Lafayette Parish city of Scott approved two new taxes. One authorizes the city to levy and collect a 5% hotel tax within the city that is expected to generate about $225,000 per year. Proceeds would fund:

the construction, maintenance, and operation of a 4-H facility, a multipurpose community center, or a park or for purposes of economic development, recreation, and tourism within the City.

The hotel tax passed with 72% of the vote.

The second allows for a one-cent sales tax to replace the city's 30-year-old sewer system. The tax would continue in perpetuity to not only fund construction, but also maintenance an operation of the facility. The current tax rate in the city of Scott is 8.45% which will increase to 9.45% with the approval of this tax.

The penny tax passed with 76% of the vote.

New Iberia

Rededication of a 6.83 mill tax was approved by 68% of voters on October 14. This was the second time residents in New Iberia saw the initiative on the ballot that would provide funding for roads in the city limits. According to The Daily Iberian, the millage was previously allocated for sewer debt, but Mayor Freddi DeCourt says the rededication will provide a long-term solution for maintaining and improving city streets.


Delcambre residents will pay a penny more in sales tax per dollar they spend to fund public safety in the town. City leaders say the additional tax, which will be levied for 10 years, will provide much-needed dollars for the police department's operations and upgrades. The tax is expected to raise approximately $300,000 per year. The current sales tax rate is 9.7% and now increases to 10.7%.


Recreation facilities, streets, and sidewalks will get attention after voters passed a 12.45 mill property tax on Saturday. The majority (95.65%) of the expected $240,000 annual collection will be allocated for rec facilities. The remainder (4.35%) will fund the improvement and maintenance of streets, sidewalks, and alleys. It can also be used for purchasing equipment to complete these jobs. The tax will only be levied for 10 years.

Have You Ever Thought About Never Paying Taxes Again?

Just what would you give up or do to never have to pay those pesky taxes again? Check to see if one of your ideas landed in our top 10 list!

Gallery Credit: JD Knight

These towns actually cut their property taxes in 2022

New Jersey 101.5 examined Department of Treasury data to see which municipalities saw an average drop in property taxes last year. Here are the Top 20 average tax cuts followed by the rest.

Gallery Credit: New Jersey 101.5

More From News Talk 96.5 KPEL