An 89-year-old homeowner and her 58-year-old son are now dead following a house fire Monday morning in St. Martinville.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says the fire happened in the 1000 block of A Sam Road. Firefighters with the Catahoula Fire Department day they got the call around 6:30 a.m  and found one of the bodies in the living room while the other was found in a bedroom. Fire investigators says the fire began in one of the bedrooms.

The official cause of the fire hasn’t been determined yet but deputies cannot rule out the possibility of unsafe heating practices involving a space heater as a possible contributing factor, according to a press release from the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Autopsies are pending from the St. Martin Parish Coroner’s Office, which will give official identifications and causes of death.


More From News Talk 96.5 KPEL