Louisiana State Fire Marshal Gives Heating Tips as Freezing Conditions Approach Area [VIDEO]
I hope you'd share this one with friends and family on social media.
The Louisiana State Fire Marshal's Office wants to remind you how to properly heat your home this winter.
South Louisiana will experience below-freezing temperatures in just a few days and many will be warming their homes for a lengthy period of time.
In Lafayette, the fire department has already responded to a number of house fires this week and sadly two have resulted in a fatality.
Here are just a few things to remember as you attempt to stay warm in the days ahead.
- Place space heaters 3-5 feet from combustible objects like blankets
- Plug all heating appliances directly into wall outlets, not power strips or extension cords
- Do not use stoves or ovens to heat homes
- Don’t overfill fireplaces/wood-burning stoves
- Never leave candles/open flames (or space heaters) left unattended
- Have working smoke alarms in your home! Check the batteries!